Sunday, March 14, 2010

LENALE NDEM UNESCO CLUB DEBATE


By Prof. Asonganyi Tazoacha,
Email: asontaz@yahoo.com
"I have been in the West at the Université des Montages following my attendance at my friend Denis Atemnkeng's mother's memorial celebration, Fonjinju' s mother's cry-die, a Cultural galore. I have read what I consider bizarre postings on the net. As a son of a prince of Lebang, in Lebialem Division of Cameroon, I grew up learning like many young Nweh children that Lefem is a sacred place where important governance issues are discussed, including traditional leadership issues. I learned that the operational word "secrecy" is more about issues discussed there, not the place as such. Except I am making a mistake, I think I was told that anybody whose father is no more can enter Lefem, thus stressing further that the secrecy of the place lies in its proceedings. I have never entered Lefem myself, and I do not think that I need to in future, except perhaps I am invited tomorrow for some secret discussions.
This said, those clamouring for the "secrecy" of Lefem that should not be exposed should explain very clearly why they think Lefem cannot be exposed. Those saying that our forefathers "will be angry" should explain very clearly why they will be. I am pleased to read from a contributor that our ancestors used our Culture/Traditions for their own purposes - mainly to live happily in harmony with nature, while harnessing natural forces to improve on their welfare; I agree with the contributor that in the world of today, we cannot pretend to want to use our culture/tradition in exactly the same way they used it because much has changed and is changing...
The relevance of Lefem to us should be how the secret discussions and conclusions reached there from time to time improve our lives and welfare, and create harmony in our villages; it should not lie in the fact that "it is a no-go area" or "not an area for YouTubes" or "only an area for notables". I think our venerable Fuasehngong has not lost an iota of his chieftaincy because of the lofty project he is involved in. And I think his grandfather Asonganyi will only shake his head in acknowledgement, knowing the man he was!
That said:
1) Although Iboland is mainly a "republican" society, the films that are coming out of there are educating us on Ibo culture and tradition, while allowing the Ibos to valorise their culture and make it contribute to their welfare. Same with the Yorubas that to me are a more traditional society...
2) The succession of Waffo Deffo that came out of Bandjoun showcased the Bandjoun tradition... and brought fame to Essola and many other film actors. I am sure that with what is coming out of Nigeria, even the Bandjoun people that criticised the film are thinking twice...
3) In the French revolution of 1789, republicanism took over from traditional rule. Ancestors did not haunt the French because the Louis's and the rest were kicked out, did they?
4) And Ethiopia, and? and?... Hopefully reactions on the above debate should help to educate me and others better... Two things have given me the impression that Lebialem people may indeed be waking up from their slumber:
1) the singlehanded creation of Lebialem territory in Melong by Fuanjinju; do not be surprised tomorrow to get Lebialem names there in future, like we have New England, New York, Cambridge, London, ...in the USA, Australia, Canada, etc.
2) The great Hotel Complex built in Buea by a Lebialem son as I write this, convinces me that the Lebialem Man may at last be stirring in His sleep. They may as well wake up soon."
Prof. Tazoacha Asonganyi is Lecturer at University of Yaoundé, Cameroon

2 comments:

  1. For more insight on the realities of the Lenale Ndem UNESCO Club, it is important to visit the following link - http://uk.youtube.com/camlink99/ Videos that spark the controversy and debate of learning are placed there. The world is changing with its traditions and culture. We should not be left behind. It is difficult to hide anything on the our global village of today. Let us leave behind a well organised heritage for our children, who will obviously be leaders of tomorrow. We know it today, we should discuss with them. Any way, if you do not tell them, they will look for it because new technology opens up the worlds to us everyday.
    It is also very important to understand that news is anything uncommon in a common place.When I read the comments of many of our highly respected traditional leaders on the process of enthroning a leader in Lebialem, I said to myself that, that is exactly the "Lefem" we should not bring to public. How can it be told the reason why one person is made a chief and why the other is not made a chief. Let us not fall in the same traps that we are placing on the road of our development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LENALE NDEM UNESCO CLUB
    By: Chrisantus Achanyi Abila in China
    Email: achristus2002@yahoo.com
    Our Respected Prof. Asonganyi Tazoacha,
    I have been learning from you always. Thanks for always taking your time to write on public interest issues with a lot of inspiration. Let God bless you with more energy to continue having the opportunities to share your knowledge and experiences with others. We the young people learn a lot from your inspirational opinions.
    Chrisantus Abila is an English Instructor in China

    ReplyDelete